Things You Should Know
* The first zip code in SC - 29001 - was issued to Alcolu
* Althea Gibson, Clarendon Native, was the first black female to play in Wimbledon
* The most Governors to ever be elected from one family were from the Richardson family of Clarendon County
* Miss America 1957, Marion McKnight, is from Clarendon County
* The best known SC POW – Robert “Mutt” Osborne was a native of Clarendon County
* Peggy Parish’s “Amelia Bedelia” is a character in a series of children’s books
* Ann Worsham Richardson, famous artist, is from Clarendon County
* James Mack Fleming, Clarendon native, is the Horticulturist and co-owner of the Charleston Tea Plantation,
* the only tea farm in the US
* Clarendon County is rich in history. Please visit one or all of the historical sites listed below.
Battle of Half Way Swamp (December 17, 1780)
Country Road 76 just beyond Elliott’s Mill Pond to the left approaching Rimini – 0.2 miles from the center of the bridge- New recruits from the British left Charleston on their way to Winnsboro. Marion heard through a spy of the movement of these men up the Santee River Road. He also learned that they were to be joined by the Highland Regiment under Major McLeroth. 700 men, mostly from Williamsburg, were commanded by Marion who charged up the road. Just beyond Half Way Swamp, it was agreed that each side would select 20 men to decide the battle. At 100 yards the British retreated. Proceeding to Singleton’s Mill, the British fled when they found the Singleton family down with smallpox.
St. Marks Parish Church
Take County Road 76 out of Summerton – near Rimini. St. Marks Parish was cut off of Prince Frederich’s Parish May 21, 1757. The Colonial Assembly appropriated 700 pounds to build a church. The church was built of brick and stone on Half Way Swamp near the Santee River Road. The original church was burned in the spring of 1781 by Colonel Tarleton to intimidate the American settlers in the area. The Parish was a political ecclesiastical district and it reached from the north side of the Santee River to the North Carolina line. The commissioners were: Richard Richardson, Joseph Cantey, Matthew Nelson, Issac Brunson, James McGrit, William Cantey, and John Cantey.
Located on County Road 76, approx. 3 miles S. W. of Rimini, a historical marker marks the spot – One of the most historic graveyards in the region, Richardson Cemetery was founded prior to the Revolutionary War. In an attempt to force information concerning Frances Marion’s whereabouts from the widow of General Richard Richardson, Banastre Tarleton, a British general compelled Richardson’s widow to dig up the body of her husband laid to rest six weeks earlier. Buried here also are Governors James Burcell Richardson and John Peter Richardson (founder of the Citadel).
Battle of Fort Watson/Santee Indian Mound
Located off I-95, and Hwys. 301/15 on Secondary Road 803 – 9 miles SW of Summerton – Fort Watson was originally constructed by local Indians as a burial mound for one of the more renowned of its chiefs. The mound, because of its strategic location, was used by the British during the Revolution to control movement on the Santee River as well as the main road between Charleston and Camden. This was the first post in S.C. retaken from the British. On April 15, 1781, General Francis Marion and Lt. Col. Henry “Lighthorse Harry” Lee encircled the fort and after 8 days of futile small arms fire, Major Hezekiah Maham constructed a pine tower of sufficient height to overlook the defenders’ stockade. On April 23, 1781, the Americans mounted an attach from the tower and from the ground which lasted only a short time. Lt. McKay surrendered the fort, its garrison and supplies to General Marion.
Calvary Baptist Church
From Summerton, take Hwy. 26 2.5 miles, turn right on Hwy. 41 and go approx. 6 ½ miles, church is located on the right just past junction of Hwy. 463. Tradition has it that this old church dates back to 1768, but it has been reported that it was organized by High Hill Baptist Church some time after 1782. Existing records show that it was constituted as a church and admitted to the Charleston Association around 1810. The church is located on Hungary Hall Branch on a 6 ½ acre plot. The first building was burned and it was replaced by the present structure, which resembles the architectural style of the High Hills Church. The doors of this historic church are open each Sunday for worship services, which are attended by a number of descendants of the original members. The first pastor mentioned in the records is the Rev. W. H. Mahoney who served there for 65 years and is buried in the cemetery there.
From Hwys. 301/15 intersection in Summerton, follow Hwy. 26 (Larry King Jr. Road) 2.3 miles W. of Summerton to Hwy. 41 (Cane Savannah Road) go 3 miles to H.T. Everett Road (S-14-306) turn right, go 1.4 miles and Chapel is on right. Mrs. L.S. Andrews organized a little church in the late 1790’s. In 1848, Mrs. Moses Livingston helped erect a building on a plot of land that was later deeded to the church by Ellis R. and Mary A. Richbourg (1880). The Rev. L.L. Bedenbough was the first pastor. The present structure was erected after the original building was destroyed by fire in 1912. Outstanding in the church history was the dedicated ministry of S.C.’s first female Methodist Minister, Mrs. Bessie Parker.
Battle of Richbourg’s Mill (November 8, 1780)
From Summerton, go W. on county road 26 (to right after crossing Jack’s Creek Bridge). On Nov. 5, with 500 horsemen, Gen. Francis Marion camped at Jack’s Creed, 10 miles above Nelson’s Ferry. A spy reported that camp to Gen. Tarleton, who was camped at “Big Home”. Gen. Tarleton, lit a large fire, hoping Gen. Marion would think “Big Home” was on fire. However, the Richardsons warned Gen. Marion, who skirted the bogs and never checked Ball, his horse, until he had ridden across Richbourg’s Mill Dam. A Tory prisoner escaped and reported this to Gen. Tarleton, who chased Gen. Marion and his men down the now U.S. Hwy. 15, to Pocotaligo Swamp, down the Georgetown Road, and on to Ox Swamp, a distance of 26 miles.
Battle of Nelson’s Ferry (August 25, 1780)
From Summerton, take county road 400, approx. 4 ½ miles on left. Capt. Joseph Roberts and his soldiers were camped at Gen. Thomas Sumter’s home near Nelson’s Ferry. Gen. Francis Marion and his men, after Gates’ defeat at Camden, were burning boats up and down the Santee in order to cut off connections between Camden and Charleston. From a deserter, Gen. Marion learned of Robert’s Camp. He, with Major Hugh Harry, attached the house. In a brief struggle, they killed or captured 23 of the British escort and Tory guides. They rescued the 150 Maryland prisoners. This was the first time Gen. Cornwallis had heard from Francis Marion.
Formerly known as Orange Hill because of the background of Mock Orange trees, is occupied by the present owner, Mrs. Mary Gentry Sprott, a direct descendant of Mr. Connor who erected the beautiful home. The architecture is peculiar to this part of the lowcountry with double steps leading to the first floor piazza. The timbers are all hand sawed and pegged together. The bricks used in the basement and in the chimney were made on the place by slave labor and the clay pitts may still be seen. The kitchen, that stands some distance from the house, is very much in evidence. The large home sits in a grove on your left going N. on Hwy. 15, just 2 miles out of Summerton.
The Cantey Place
From Hwys. 301/15 intersection, go 0.7 miles, turn right on Wells Road, then right on first dirt lane. The Cantey Place has never had a special name but “Town and Country” would suit, as it has certain features of both. The residence was built in 1843, and John J. Ragin is the earliest person known to occupy it. There are columns which outline the porch on three sides. It was built by slave labor with bricks made on the pace and hand-hewn timbers put together with wooden pegs. The home is now occupied by William Anderson Cantey.
The Harvey Belser Home
Located on N. Duke St. in Summerton. The Belser home was built in 1830 by V.H. Colclough. James Dingle acquired the house in 1883 and Mrs. Guilielma Belser bought it in 1886 and added a second story. No radical changes have been made since. It is now owned by Mrs. Harvey Belser, whose husband was a grandson of Mrs. Guilielma Belser.
The Burgess Home
Corner of Burgess Street and facing U.S. Highway 15 in Summerton. Prior to 1881 the original three-room one-story house faced the lane which is now Burgess Street. On Jan. 21, 1881, W.B. James sold the land and house to Dr. Thomas Lesley Burgess. Mrs. Marion Barksdale is now enjoying the shade of the trees that were planted by her father and grandfather. The original pillars on the back porch remain as so the original hand turned banisters. The solid pine boards inside, put together with wooden pins, are six inches wide, and there are no joints in the floors or ceilings in the rooms which measure 17 ½ x 16 ½. A unique feature of this house and pattern which holds throughout the house is that the floor boards run N and S while the ceiling boards run E and W. It was from this home that Miss Annie Curtis Burgess, a music teacher, composed the lovely melody to accompany Timrod’s poem “Carolina”, which was adopted as the S.C. State Song in 1911. Miss Burgess died 4 months prior to this date on October 15, 1910. She is laid to rest in Summerton’s Evergreen Cemetery while her beautiful melody lives on.
Oak Grove Church
Take Hwy. 521 ½ mi. E. of Manning City Limits. Turn right on SC 14-48. Go 1.7mi. church is on right. According to Dr. James M. Burgess, in his “Chronicles of St. Mark’s Parish”, Oak Grove was one of the appointments of the Santee Circuit before 1838. It is one of the oldest Methodist churches in the area. A recorded deed shows that Henry B. Holladay gave 5 ac. of land for the church. The cemetery is well kept and is still used. The wooded area W. of the church and graveyard was used first as a burial ground for slaves, and later, when Clarendon County had a “poor house”, it was used as a burial ground for indigent and aged persons. Their wooden markers have long since decayed. Still standing on the church grounds is the little one-room schoolhouse, Oak Grove School. Both bldgs. have withstood assaults by both man and nature and hold in their wooden fibers many secrets – both time capsules and monuments to a simpler time. Oak Grove Church has been extensively repaired in recent years and still stands as a monument to the faith of out fathers.
The Morgan Sauls Home
Located on Secondary Road 23 (Old Georgetown Road) 4 ½ miles N.E. of Manning City Limits, the attractive “raised cottage” was built in the mid-1800’s by Mr. Sauls’ great uncle Minto McFaddin. The home was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Morgan L. Sauls, Jr., in the 1930’s, who renovated much of the original dwelling, adding wings on each side for bedrooms and a dining room and kitchen. The downstairs area, at one time a dining room and kitchen, has been done over, exposing the original hand-hewn sills now used in combination with mellow brick floors. The handsome paneling in these rooms was once flooring of the third story of this house. The home is owned by Mrs. Morgan L. Sauls, Jr. who is one of nine children of former S.C. Governor John G. Richards. Her son Morgan III resides in the home today.
Woods Bay State Park
Located 5 miles north of Turbeville, 3 miles west of Olanta off I-95 and Hwy. 301. The park is an oval-shaped depression, one of a number of Carolina Bays in the coastal plains, and is named for Andrew Woods, who once owned a grist mill there. Woods Bay offers a variety of natural habitats where many species of wildlife are found. The 1541 acre park includes a swamp with a marsh and cypress, oak and gum trees. Visitors may enjoy a boardwalk, canoe trail, nature programs, and a picnic area. A Nature Center, funded by Carolina Power and Light Company, is soon to be built and will provide an increase in educational programming opportunities.
Alcolu Sawmill and Burke Brothers Store
Alcolu was est. between 1885 and 1890 by D.W. Alderman and Sons as a mill toen for their lumber company. The name Alcolu is derived from “Al” as in Alderman, “Co” as in Coldwell (a friend), and “Lu” as in Lula, the only daughter of the Aldermans at that time. In 1947 the mill was sold by the Alderman family to Williams Furniture Company. Williams merged with Georgia Pacific in 1968 and is the present owner. Alva and Willie Burke ran the store from 1954 through the 1980’s. The Company Store was built around 1914. When it was built, Alcolu was a company town where everybody worked at the lumber mill and took babbit, a metal coin stamped with an “A” to the company store. There they could buy groceries, see the doctor, or watch a show in the 200 seat theater upstairs. The building still looks very much as it did in the early 1900’s and is now used as an antique showroom.
The James home, on North Duke Street in Summerton, was built in 1840, by J.H. Colclough on land owned by W.C. Dukes. Dr. Thomas W. Briggs purchased the house and his son, Dr. A.J. Briggs, inherited it. It was sold to Dr. D. O. Rhame and in 1904, Joseph Alston James, known as “Cap’n”, became the owner. “Cap’n” James was a railroad conductor for Northwestern. The James family added four large upstairs rooms to the original story and a half structure as well as a handsome front stairway, an outstanding feature of the house. Two family brides have descended this stairway to their parlor marriages. John E. James, son of “Cap’n” James, and his wife became residents of the home in 1959. The present owners are Mr. and Mrs. Lionel Stukes, who have extensively restored the home.
St. Matthias Episcopal Church
Located on N. Duke St., in Summerton. In 1899 after church service, a meeting in the yard of The Presbyterian Church, marked the beginning of the establishment of St. Matthias. The land to build the church and rectory was given by Mrs. R.H. Belser. The church was built and paid for through donations and accumulated funds; this on St. Mathias Day, Feb. 24, 1899, the church was consecrated by Bishop Capers. The rectory adjoining the church was built in 1903 at a cost of $1223.38. In 1910 the church was remodeled and rebuilt on concrete blocks, stained glass windows were added and a valuable Felgenmaker organ was installed in 1917. The organ was purchased from Washington Street Meth. Church in 1922, and has the date Feb. 23, 1870, on the bellows. It is one of only 2 remaining Felgenmaker organs – both of which are in Episcopal churches in S.C. Among the founders of this church, these names should be remembered: Belser, Richardson, Frierson, Dingle and Brailsford. A bronze tablet, given by members of the congregation and bearing names of the church’s founders, was dedicated on Sept. 9, 1956 by Rev. Richard Patton.
“Taw Caw” Gentry – Grayson Home
½ mile N. of Summerton on Highway 301, take a left on Taw Caw Road. 1st house on left. “Taw Caw” is situated on the road leading to a creek by that name. This plantation home was built for Ezra Tindal. Members of the Sublett family and relatives of the Tindals lived there until T.H. Gentry bought it. It is now the home of his great granddaughter, Mary Anne Grayson Moore. Double steps lead to the second floor piazza, and the rood is supported by massive rectangular columns that extend beyond the floor of the piazza and on down to the ground, where they are now encased in cement. The banisters and hand rails are hand-turned. Built with slave labor from plantation timber, hand-sawed and hand planed, the massive girders underpinning the house are pegged together. Wide planks run the length of the large rooms without joints. The bricks in the enormous fireplaces and the hinges used for the doors and windows were all processed on the estate. The trees on the spacious grounds are in their third century of growth. This dignified home has double front doors adding to its hospitable atmosphere. About two-tenths mile north of this house is the first site of the Baptist Church of Summerton. A marker stands there today.
The First Methodist Parsonage in Manning
Located on the corner of Maple and Rhame Streets (1 block off N. Brooks St.). The parsonage was invaded by Gen. Potter’s occupying forces when they sacked and burned Manning’s business district on April 9, 1865. In lated years it was the part-time residence of Julia Mood Peterkin, 1928 Pulitzer prize winning novelist. A bronze plaque marks this building, once facing Brooks St., as the First Methodist parsonage in Manning. It served as such from 1865 – 1897 and was then sold by the church. It was acquired by the county school board and made into administrative offices. It now houses the Forestry Commission.
The Old Manning Library
The beginnings of the library in Clarendon County can be traced back to 1880 with the organization of the Manning Literary Society. In 1905 the Moses Levi family gave $1000 to be used for the building of the library. This gift was matched by the City of Manning and support generated from public subscriptions, private donations, silver teas, and bazaars made it possible to purchase the land on Brooks Street and the construction of the building began in 1909. This unique building with its high-domed sky-lights was built by the same architect who built the present Clarendon County Courthouse. (architect’s name unrecorded) The double doors which admit entrance are the only ones connecting with the exterior, and on the inside, throught the clever use or arches, on finds oneself in an octagon-shaped room, with four small rooms forming the corners. In 1976, after years of being a private library the Manning City League voted to turn the Manning Library building over to Clarendon County for use as a public library. On November 13, 1977, the Clarendon County Public Library was officially dedicated. The small building was added to the Nation Historic Register in 1979, the only structure so designed in this county. In 1993 the building was renovated and will be used as an Archives Museum for Clarendon County.
J.K. Breedin Home
Located at the sourthern end of Brooks Street (at turn of Highway 301), the original part of the house faces north and consists of 3 large rooms with a large entrance hall downstairs, 2 large rooms with connecting hall upstairs. The woodwork in this part of the house was carved by slaves of Mr. J.R. Haynesworth, the first owner and builder. Extensive additions have been made by numerous owners – the Haynesworths from 1845 – 1875, the Pressley Barrons 1876 – 1902 and the Joseph Sprotts 1902 – 1930. Mr. and Mrs. Breedin bought the home in 1930. Mrs. Sophie Drayton, niece of Mrs. Breedin, inherited the home after Mrs. Breedin’s death in 1976. Mrs. Drayton was reared by the Breedins.
Located south of Manning, turn left off Highway 301 onto Highway 63 (Raccoon Road) and travel 2 miles, house on left at end of long avenue of trees – “El Recuerdo” was built by Col Edward Bertram Davis in 1815. This home is constructed entirely of heart pine and cypress with two circular stairways made of mahogany. The original window panes and shutters grace the mansion. Northern soldiers occupied this home during the War Between the States, and it was one of the few spared from flames.
Clarendon County Courthouse
Town Square, Manning. The Clarendon County Courthouse was built in 1908-09. It stands on the spot which was selected as the center of the county in 1855. The first building was erected in 1856, and was burned in 1865. Another building erected in 1878 was removed in 1908 to make room for the present building. In 1970 the building was renovated. In the building are plaques to the memory of Chief Justice Taylor Hudnall Stukes, Justice James Hugh McFaddin, and General Richard Richardson. A Portrait of Justice Stukes hangs in the Courtroom. On the grounds is a monument to the veterans of the War Between the States and 2 markers honoring Jake Williams and William Burgess who were killed in action during World War I. The American Legion Post was named in their honor. A plaque hangs in the Courthouse hallway listing those who donated a tree or shrub in memory or honor of a loved one. In 1990 the newly renovated Judges Chambers was dedicated in memory of Judge James McCullum Morris. A portrait of Judge Morris was presented at this time and now hangs in the Chambers.
The Wolfe House
14 Keitt Street, Manning. It is known to be one of the oldest houses in Manning. The house was built shortly after the town was established in 1855. It was moved to its present site in 1896. Mr. Joe P. Moore bought the property in 1964. It still contains the original flooring and most of the heavy dark shutters. The shutters on the front were on the house in 1899. Other original features are the interchangeable windows, the steep shingled roof and pine siding on the house, as well as the nails, which were all handmade by the village blacksmith. A hitching post and carriage step stand at the side yard to add to the authenticity of the period. This house serves as an office for Mr. Moore, Miss Mellie’s Playschool and a clothing exchange, run by Mellie M. Lee, daughter of Mr. Moore.
Ox Swamp (November 8, 1780)
Leaving Manning on Highway 521 going toward Kingstree, Ox Swamp is on the right at the edge of Manning. At Ox Swamp Crossing Tarleton halted after the 26 mile race from Richbourg’s Mill Dam and finding that Marion and his 400 horsemen had left the road here to go into the swamp, decided to give up the race. Marion had eluded him, and it is said that he exclaimed “Come on Boys! Let’s go back and fight the gamecock. But as for the old fox, the devil himself could not catch him.” The natives seized on Tarleton’s epithet and turned it into “Swamp Fox” and fastened that nickname forever on their hero.
Taw Caw Baptist Church
Located on Hwy. 301 N. of Summerton. The Taw Caw Baptist Church was organized and founded in 1858 as an offshoot of Calvary Baptist Church. The Honorable James H. Tindal donated the church lot. Due to war conditions, the pulpit, seats, and flooring became a sacrificial effort and in the Spring of 1860 the work was suspended. Wheeler’s men occupied the church building for several weeks during The War Between the States. Due to bad weather, the soldiers attempted to put sand on the floor to build a fire. The efforts were quite harmful. Following the war, the bankrupt conditions prevented the necessary repairs, so in 1885 this black Baptist church bought the building and lot for $400 from the white Taw Caw church, now Summerton Baptist Church. The church serves a large congregation in the Summerton and surrounding area. Building additions have been made over the years.
Battle of Tearcoat (October 25, 1780)
Located about ¾ miles on left from I-95 toward Sumter County line on #50. Gen. Francis Marion heard that Col. Samuel Lynes had moved his men from Nelson’s Ferry to Tearcoat Swamp (near the site of Victory Plains, the Joseph S. DuRant home). Fearing that spies were in his camp, Marion did not enlighten his men of his plans. On Oct. 24, 1780, he scouted the Tory camp and found it in casual disarray. He attached at midnight Oct. 25, with a 3 pronged approach. It was a complete rout with 3 killed, 14 wounded, 23 captured, together with capture of arms, supplies and equipment.
Battle of Wyboo Swamp (March 6, 1781)
County Road 410, turn right off Hwy. 260 on 410 as you approach dam. Site on right at waters edge. Before Lake Marion was formed, there was a swamp at Wyboo with several wooden bridges on the Santee River Road. Lord Francis Rowdon, Field Commander of the King’s Forces in SC, decided that the time was ripe to crush Marion. With a double pronged pincher, he ordered Col. Watson to attack the front and Col. Doyle to cut off their retreat. Gen. Marion was ambushed at Wyboo Swamp. A bloody battle followed which was actually a draw. Marion retreated down the River road about 3 miles to Capt. John Cantey’s Plantation.
Located on County Road 351 on N. side of Santee river. Joseph Cantey purchased Mount Hope Plantation consisting of approx. 700 ac. from the widow of Landgrave Edmund Bellenger. His daughter, Mary, married Thomas Sumter. John Cantey’s home was a little more than halfway between Nelson’s Ferry and Murray’s Ferry. This would place it about 1 ½ miles N. of Bennett’s Branch on the present Bartow Shaw lands. His place was used by Gen. Marion for rest and for collecting reinforcements. It was at the Cantey house that Marion heard the news of Gen. Cornwallis’ surrender at York Town. John Cantey died May 15, 1786.
The Old Robert Eli McFaddin Plantation Home
3/10 mile S. of Hwy. 301 on Hwy. 527 in Sardinia. Robert Eli McFaddin, Sr. built this home in 1854 with the help of his nephew John Brogdon McFaddin the son of Joseph Sidney McFaddin. One of the farm workers was able to help build the house with a foundation of tall brick pillars and great hewn sills held together with wooden pegs. Square nails and cypress shingles were made on the plantation. It is rumored that a Ghost that lives in the attic and peers out the rear windows, and may be seen in the late afternoons. This Ghost once took the reins of Jeff’s horse on dismounting at the lot gate and handed them to Earl his brother. The 1918 earthquake caused the biggest chimney to fall. It was replaced by Jeff D. McFaddin and also Clarence Wheeler the noted bricklayer of the community. Clarendon also designed and built the brick entrance at the gate way. This home was the site of the first Post Office for Sardinia. Robert Eli placed his finger on the map of Europe to choose an acceptable name for the community “Sardinia,” and named his son-in-law, David Eli DuBose, the first Post Master. The home has been remodeled first by Jeff McFaddin and recently by his daughter Ruth and her husband Guy E. Slagle, Se. A few things reman such as Robert Eli’s picture over the mantle, the desk used as the Post Office, the old clock, Grand Ma’s little trunk, and the old diary and smoke house. Hurricane “Hugo” demolished the corn house, stable and barn that was used as a community square dance hall.
Norman J. McFaddin Plantation Home
1 mile S. of 301 on 527. The home was built in 1850’s. The first occupants were John Scott Burgess Sr. and Kate Alford Burgess, their children were Rob A., Wm. R., John S. Jr. John S. Sr. died and Kate remarried to W.T. Rose, Jr., known as “Marse Billy Rose” and there were 6 children by this marriage. This is why it was called the Burgess, Rose, McFaddin home. The home was remodeled by John Scott Burgess, Sr. adding a huge hall going to the back and one across the back with 2 double doors on the ends. The back part was removed by Norman along with the large kitchen in the rear. The front 2 rooms have fancy wood work with the mantles and base boards being hand carved of heart pine. The old home was used as a girls school by Mrs. Kate Rose as the instructor. The farm being in the family for over 200 years is noted as a “Bicentennial Farm” indicated by the sign out front.
Formally the Fullwood Barony is on Hwy. 527, 4 miles SE of Hwy. 301 from Sardinia toward Kingstree. It was a King George of England Grant of 16,900 ac. of land on Black River and Puddin’ Swamp in Camden and Williamsburg Districts. Major William Fullwood organized a company of volunteers during the Rev. War to fight with Gen. Francis Marion. The Fullwood home and plantation is owned and operated by the children of Douglas McFaddin and was handed down to them from their great great grandfather Hugh McFaddin who acquired the home and a great portion of the barony. The lovely ancestral home built in 1820 has been remodeled many times. It was built by slaves with hand made brick on the plantation, hand-hewn beams and boards pegged together with wooden pegs. This was the childhood home of Judge Hames Hugh McFaddin (1912-1973). The Doug McFaddin family presently resides there.
St. Mary Catholic Church
Located on N. Cantey St., in Summerton. Lebanese men came to small communities such as Summerton to peddle goods brought from Charleston in the late 1800’s. The Shaleulys, Josephs and the Nimmers came to live in Summerton, and for several years their families met in their homes for Catholic Mass. The Catholic Diocese of Charleston, in 1913, purchased the property where the church was to be located. The Lebanese people from Georgetown, Camden, Kingstree and Greeleyville, along with the Catholic Extension Society, helped the Catholics in Summerton. In 1914, the church was completed and dedicated. The church was rededicated on April 17, 1917. The columned front porch was enclosed to form the vestibule, a stained glass window was added, the sacristy was enlarged and handmade cooper light fixtures were hung. On Jan. 6, 1952, the renovations were completed and the church was rededicated. Father Anthony Beleski had a rectory built on the property behind the church. In 1993 the house next door was purchased and renovated as the recreational center with classrooms. It is the only Catholic Church in Clarendon County and provides Mass for travelers.
Midway Presbyterian Church
Named because its located midway between Williamsburg Church of Kingstree and Brick Church of Sumter District. In 1802 William McIntosh and Samuel Flemming were commissioned to build the church. This building was completed in two months at a cost of $800. Every board of this original building was hand-hewn on the grounds and put together with pegs. The church was officially organized in the year 1804. The Rev. G. G. McWorter was called to be the first pastor. In 1809 the Rev. John Cousar became the next pastor of Midway and Brewington Presbyterian Churches and served until 1831. In 1939, the Highway Dept. had to move the church back 100 feet. At this time it was remodeled with the addition of a large basement, front porch and steeple. Stained glass windows were added in 1967. The historic gallery is where many slaves were taught the gospel. There are over 200 graves and 5 generations of descendants of the original settlers in this cemetery.
Brewington Presbyterian Church
Approx. 9 miles from Manning Hwy. 261 (Brewington Road) going toward Kingstree, turn left on Secondary Road 50. Brewington Presbyterian Church was organized in 1812 with 5 charter members. The land for the sanctuary was given by James Evans. The present building replaced the first small building. Closed in 1951, it now serves the community for homecomings, weddings and funerals. Each October descendants of the first settlers meet on this historic spot for a church service and lunch on the grounds.
The Kathleen Green Thigpen Home
N. 301 in Turbeville, turn left just beyond Pine Grove Methodist Church, ½ mile up the avenue. This is one of the oldest homes in Turbeville. The original building was constructed by Robert Wesley Green in 1876 on land adjacent to the town of Turbeville. The property was passed onto the late Mr. Ed Green and upon his death the property was inherited by his daughter, Mrs. Kathleen G. Thigpen. The Green home was built with hewn sills and framing which were pegged together with wooden pegs. The plastered walls are still standing, however, they have cracks in the from the Charleston earthquake in 1886. The brick in the foundation and chimneys are handmade. The well and old well-sweep are still standing as are the original floors which were made of heart pine. Mr. Thigpen, widower of Kathleen Green Thigpen, who passed away in early 1994, now resides in the home.
The Plantation Home of Samuel McFaddin
Located ½ mile S. of Sardinia on Hwy. 527 on right. This is the oldest home in Sardinia, the home of Samuel and Elizabeth McKnight McFaddin. They are the parents of Joseph Sidney, William Elliott, Minto Jay and Robert Eli. The home is still in the “Samuel McFaddin” name, passed down six generations for over 225 years. Mrs. Louise Robinson McFaddin Garland resides there today.
Percy B. Harvin, Jr. House
Located on N. Duke St., Summerton. This house is located on land that was deeded to Summerton Baptist Church in 1891. Shortly after the church was built, they built this house, the first Baptist pastorium. The original house had a small porch on the front. When DuValle and Adelaide Elliott bought the house in 1943, they added the porch as it presently is and enclosed the kitchen, which was separated from the house. Percy B. Harvin, Jr. bought the house in 1980 and has renovated it. In Sept. 1989, Hurricane Hugo caused extensive damage to the back of the house. The front part of the house is the most original and looks much like it did then.
Horse Branch Original Free Will Baptist Church
Located on Hwy. 378 N. or Turbeville, take a left on Horse Branch Road, In 1859, the 12 charter members first held services in a humble building constructed of logs. The pews were made of split logs which rested on peg legs. Wild horses used the nearby branch as a watering hole, thus the name Horse Branch. The building, erected during the lake 1800’s, is presently used as the Fellowship Hall. A new church building was erected in 1983 which Talmadge Brown was pastor. Several members have become ministers.
Bethlehem Methodist Church
Take 301 1 mile SW of Manning, turn left on SC 14-63. Go 1.7 miles, turn right on SC 14-62. Do 3 miles, church is on left. Founded in 1879 by families who were former members of either Zoar Methodist Church or Gessemine Methodist Church. Gessemine Methodist Church, located halfway between Davis Station and Jordan, was closed in 1878 when most of its members joined Jordan Methodist Church, which was newly built. The charter members were Graham, Richbourg, Brunson, Clark, Shorter and Stukes. These first members obtained the old Gessemine Church Building. They dismantled it and moved it to the present site of Bethlehem. Miss Rebecca F. Shorter donated the 1 ½ ac. of land for the church site. Due to an increase membership, the present sanctuary was erected and dedicated on Easter Sunday, 1896. At this time, additional land was donated to the church by Miss Rebecca Shorter. Since 1906, the church has been on the Jordan circuit. It is well kept and many improvements have been made to the building over the past years.
John McCuen Rowe Home
From Summerton, take road 102, turn left at end, go ½ mile, turn right on Rowe Road., go approx. 1 mile and house is ahead. It was constructed about 1860. The bricks for the foundation and chimney were made from clay dug nearby while the timbers were hand-hewn. Around the turn of the century, in keeping with the current architectural style of the times, porches were built around 3 sides of the house. In 1990 Bob Davis purchased this home from John S. Anderson, Jr., great grandson of the original owner.
Old Rickenbaker Country Store
This historical old store, built from pines on Sam Nexsen’s property, was a landmark for many years on the Camp Bob Cooper Road. Mr. Nexsen was a prosperous landowners and businessman. After his death in 1903, Mannie Rickenbaker bought the store. Once the center of activity especially during the building years of Santee Cooper, it remained vacant for many years serving only as a landmark on the was to Camp Bob Cooper and Camp Robinson. In 1993 Becki Davis Margarite, who grew up in Summerton, and husband Joe, have moved the store to its new location only town miles away on Lake Marion’s Potato Creek. A full service marina with a restaurant and accommodations are in their future plans. With 3000 acres of the Santee National Wildlife Refuge across from the marina, the Margarite’s are excited about developing a nature-based tourism package.
The Stukes Home
Located on the corner of Church and Memorial Streets in Manning, it was the home of the late Chief Justice Taylor Hudnall Stukes. This home was built in 1878 by the late Joseph Taylor Stukes. It was restored by his son, Taylor Hudnall Stukes in 1941. The azalea bushes were the first to be planted in Manning. The Stukes home is now owned by Jack and Barbara O’Roarke. Three portraits of Justice Stukes still hand in the music room.
The William C. Coffey, Sr. Home
(201 S. Brooks Street in Manning) was built in the late 1800’s. Scott Harvin, Sr. built this home and the house behind it, the Linnekin home, 4 W. Huggins Street as investments for his two nieces who were orphans. At one time the room that was the old kitchen at the Linnekin home was used as a school house. The Coffeys moved into their present home in 1903 and rented it until the nieces assumed ownership. In 1915, Thomas Finley Coffey bought the house. After the tornado of May 1915, he remodeled it extensively, although the front of the house remained the same. Thus, the Coffeys have lived here since they beginning of the 20th century, adding beauty to Manning’s main street.
At the turn of the century Clarendon was primarily an agricultural couty, with lumber a close second and turpentine stills also important. These activities all required mule power. Manning, as the county seat, had several livery stables one being that of Coffey and Rigby. They first located in an old wooden building at the corner of Mill and Huggins Street, and in 1905 the built a frame building at the corner of Mill and Keitt Street. The tornado of May 7, 1915, destroyed this building, and the owners immediately erected a substantial brick building on the same site. The arched doorway is one of the unique features of this large stable, which has a record of housing twp hundred mules at one time. In 1919, the Boll Weevil so deflated the farm economy that many businesses failed. Among them was the Coffey Rigby Livery Stable, which passed into out-of-town hands, where is remained until bought by Sam Richman. No longer a livery stable, it is now the property of Sen. John C. Land, III and houses the Land, Parker and Welch Law Firm.
Approximately 15 miles S of Manning on Hwy. 26. It is the most sizeable earthen dam in South Carolina – 8 miles long. Lake Marion is names in honor of General Francis Marion, the Revolutionary War Hero, “The Swamp Fox.” The upper of the two reservoirs, it comprises 110,600 acres of water. Lake Moultrie, larger than the Sea of Galilee, comprises 60,400 acres and is the lower and smaller reservoir. It is named after General William Moultrie, another Revolutionary War Hero, who also designed the State Flag of SC. The 7 ½ mile long Diversion Canal connects Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie. The Santee Dam and Spillway, completed in November, 1941, has 62 taintor gates in the Spillway section. Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie, since their completion in 1942, have drawn every-increasing numbers of fisherman seeking the many kinds of fish that abound there, in particular the Striped Rock Bass, normally an ocean fish. When the dam gates were closed, the stripers were landlocked in the reservoir and began to produce in the fresh water. Some weigh up to 50 lbs. Countless vacation cottages and homes have been built along the 475 miles of shoreline. “Santee Cooper Country” is important today for its value to sportsmen and for the electric power it was built to produce. Thus – for all practical purposes – the Santee and Cooper Rivers are now one and the same except during the discharge of major flood waters.
Summerton Presbyterian Manse and Church
The Presbyterian Manse located on Cantey Street in Summerton is the oldes house in the city limits of Summerton. Approx. a century ago it was the property of Mary Long Ragin, who conducted a school there for young children. Two short sets of steps led to a small platform from which the main steps rose to a wide piazza. Originally, a two-story dwelling it is now a one-story house with a large attic and a full basement. The eight-room, white frame house is confortable and attractive. On June 15, 1975, the Summerton Presbyterian Church celebrated its centennial. However, the Presbyterians of Summerton worshiped together before 1860 in the Methodist Church, loaned to them for the purpose. The Civil Way and the resultant financial depression made it impossible to build a church, but the Misses Abbie and Eliza Dukes, who had moved to Summerton from Charleston, gave a large carriage house, which was moved to a lot donated by Mr. James E. Davis. It became a plain but comfortable house of worship and was dedicated on June 20, 1875. A list of the twenty-one charter members carries the names of Briggs, Caldwell, Burgess, Dukes, Carson, Rutledge, Ingram, Richardson, Rowe and Pack. On June 22, 1884, a new church building was dedicated and in 1905, was sold. The present church building was dedicated on October 21, 1907. The church and the manse have recently been renovated.
New Harmony Presbyterian Church
Organized on Nov. 22, 1879, on land given by John C. DuRant. It is located on New Harmony Road between Wilson Road and McElveen Road. It was so named because of its proximity to the site of Harmony Church of former days. It drew members from Concord, Salem, Black River, Brewington, Manning and Midway Presbyterian Churches. A list of twenty-five charter members include the following: DuRant, Bateman, Ingram, Plowden, White and Witherspoon. Although New Harmony remains a relatively small rural church, it is well cared for and continues today as a faithful witness.
Manning Presbyterian Church
The Manning Presbyterian Church came into being in 1857 when Harmony Presbyterian Church (1855) and Clarendon Presbyterian Church united and moved into the town of Manning. The Rev. James McDowell, the first pastor, preached he dedication sermon in September, 1859. The present sanctuary on Brooks Street., built in 1904, presents an aesthetically pleasing imitation of early Gothic style architecture. The brick structure has two cross-topped spires and three pointed arches across the front, which lend a touch of antiquity to the appearance. A moeller pipe organ was installed around 1920 and completely reworked in 1993. The richly colored, stained glass windows together with their pointed arches accentuate the cathedral ceiling.
Indian Artifact Collection of Alvey Welch
Mr. Welch has a collection of over 15,000 Indian artifacts from across the United States. Travel Hwy. 378 through Turbeville, take a left on Horse Branch Road, go one mile to a two story brick house on left. Call for appointment at 659-2752 or 659-4309.
The Santee River
The Old River Road followed the Santee River through Clarendon County to the Wateree River and on to Camden. The River Road and the Raccoon Road were much traveled taking supplies from Charleston to the upstate area. The Old River Road was flooded at several places when Lake Marion was formed. The Santee River has played a role of importance in the history of Clarendon County. Some say the Santee River was the first North American river seen by the white man. It is believed that in the 16th Century, early Spanish explorers traveled up the Santee. In 1756 Beard’s Ferry was established, and in 1762 the name was changed to Nelson’s Ferry and is still called that today. It was the only means of transporting people and goods to and from Charleston. During the 19th Century a thriving community developed at Wrights Bluff where crowds gathered each day to “meet the boat.” There were great warehouses and offices where the business of the port was transacted. Transportation of goods was extremely difficult by land and canals appeared to be the solution. The Santee Canal, one of the first canals of its length in the US was the earliest and most notable of the canal enterprises. The Santee Canal Co. was chartered in 1786 and construction was begun seven years later. The 22 mile long canal opened in July 1880 with 12 locks and 8 aqueducts. The locks were built of brick and capped with marble. In 1840 when the railroad from Columbia to Charleston was completed, it rendered almost useless the canal, and in 1850 the waterway was closed. In 1938 the Great Santee was called upon again. Huge hydro electric plants, dikes and dams were constructed. Many families were “put back on their feet” by the construction project. Various sources have attributed to the origin of the name of Santee River. Some say it was named from the French word “Sante,” meaning ‘Health.’ Others say it is the name of the tribe of Indians known as Santee, meaning “gentle folks.” Still others say it is of Indian origin, from the Indian word “Zantee” which means “The River.”